Tree of Eternal Life 14th February 2022
Maca Root is a Peruvian plant grown in the Andes Mountains. It is a cruciferous vegetable, meaning that it is related to broccoli, cabbage, and kale. Maca Root is a common ingredient in Peruvian cooking that gives dishes an earthy flavor. Maca Root plant can be ground up into a powder and added to meals or smoothies. Aside from its culinary uses, Maca Root may also have several health benefits. This article will discuss 10 possible health benefits of Maca Root.
What are the different colours of Maca Root?
Maca Root comes in three main colours, with each colour having different unique properties. All three colours arise from the same seed crop, so in essence you cannot independently cultivate a single colour. It is just the skin that is coloured so once sun-dried and processed all powders look similar but are used for different conditions.
Phenotype genetics provide a harvest with ratios of approximately 60-70% yellow Maca Root, 20-25% red Maca Root and 10-15% black Maca Root. The shamans claim this is not by chance, but more about how ‘she’ (la Maca Root) wants you to consume her. As such, the three different colours are prepared and taken differently depending on the body’s requirements and condition being treated. Yellow Maca Root is for daily use and long-term balance, Red Maca Root and Black Maca Root are sacred and saved for acute or chronic therapeutic use. Yellow Maca Root is neutral, Red Maca Root is internal (feminine energy) and Black Maca Root is external (masculine energy).
Yellow Maca Root
Yellow Maca Root is the most abundant of the 3 colours (60-70%) and is claimed to be the neutral form that should be taken daily and used for long-term balance and resilience to stress. Scientifically we know that Yellow Maca Root has the most broad and general array of Maca Rootmides and other bioactives but in lower concentrations vs Red Maca Root or Black Maca Root. Yellow Maca Root is more mild than the other colours and is a great general health tonic for men and women of all ages including children. Yellow Maca Root powder benefits those with hormonal imbalances (including PMS and menopause), thyroid dysfunction, adrenal fatigue, autoimmunity, inflammation, mental health and also for improving energy and fertility.
Red Maca Root
Red Maca Root is more rare (20-25%) vs Yellow Maca Root and is thought to be sacred and saved for acute treatment of constitutional imbalances or alleviating more chronic conditions. Red Maca Root represents the internal energy of our body, that energy that nourishes, stabilizes and calms (it is the feminine side of the Maca Root). As such Red Maca Root benefits conditions such as anxiety, adrenal fatigue, osteoporosis (bone density), blood flow, oxygen in the blood, inflammation and autoimmunity, prostate function in men, hormonal balance and female fertility. Red Maca Root takes care of our entire inner being and our feminine energy, it is like a warm and loving hug from your mum. Our own studies have shown Red Maca Root contains higher levels of bioactives vs Yellow Maca Root and Black Maca Root. Red Maca Root is ideal for use by men and women for more chronic or acute conditions and imbalances.
Black Maca Root
Black Maca Root is the rarest form of Maca Root (10-15%) and is thought to be the most sacred and saved for acute treatment of constitutional insufficiencies or chonic health conditions. Black Maca Root represents the external energy of our body (it is the male side of the Maca Root), that which strengthens, gives vitality and gives direction to our organism. As such Black Maca Root benefits our cognitive capacity (brain fog), brain function, energy, mental focus, mental health (antidepressant), physical performance, male fertility, sexual function and libido. Our own studies have shown Black Maca Root contains higher levels of bioactives vs Yellow Maca Root but slightly lower vs Red Maca Root. Black Maca Root takes care of our entire external being and our masculine energy, it is like an uplifting and encouraging boost. Black Maca Root is ideal for use by men and women for more chronic or acute conditions, imbalances and athletic and cognitive enhancement.
Maca Roots Benefits
- Increasing libido
The most well-known benefit of Maca Root is its potential to increase libido. Maca Root may also help reduce sexual dysfunction in postmenopausal women who were taking an antidepressant.
- Reducing erectile dysfunction
Maca Root could also have benefits for men with erectile dysfunction (ED). Taking Maca Root helps to significantly increase sexual well-being.
- Boosting energy and endurance
Some athletes and bodybuilders use Maca Root as a supplement to increase energy and performance.
- Increasing fertility
Another widespread use of Maca Root is to increase fertility, by increasing semen quality in both fertile and infertile men.
- Improving mood
Maca Root contains flavonoids, which are thought to improve mood and reduce anxiety. Maca Root could also reduce symptoms of depression in postmenopausal women.
- Reducing blood pressure
- Reducing sun damage
Maca Root may help protect the skin from UV rays and extracts from Maca Root leaves may help to prevent the formation of sunburn cells.
- Fighting free radicals
Maca Root also promotes natural antioxidants in the body, such as glutathione and superoxide dismutase. Antioxidants help to fight off free radicals, which can damage cells in the body. Some people believe antioxidants can help prevent some health conditions, including heart disease and cancer.
- Reducing menopause symptoms
Some proponents of Maca Root may help balance levels of the hormone estrogen. During perimenopause, the stage before a woman reaches menopause, estrogen levels fluctuate and can cause a variety of symptoms such as hot flashes and night sweats.
- Improving learning and memory
Maca Root may help improve learning and memory performance. Researchers suggest that it could be helpful in treating conditions that affect these processes, such as Alzheimer’s disease.Top of FormBottom of Form
Maca Root is not currently associated with any health risks in most people and is unlikely to cause any side effects in moderate doses.
However, due to its effect on hormones, people with thyroid problems should avoid taking Maca Root. It is also better to avoid taking Maca Root when undergoing treatments that modify hormonal levels, such as treatments for breast cancer.
Maca Root Nutrition Facts
In general Maca Root is rich in amino acids, phytonutrients, fatty acids, vitamin and minerals. According to nutritional research published on NutritionData.com Maca Root contains:
- Carbohydrates – Maca Root is rich in quality carbs, which, combined with its alkaloids and other nutrients make it a great choice for sustained energy
- Protein – Maca Root is loaded with bio-available plant protein that is easy for the body to assimilate
- Fiber – Maca Root contains relatively high levels of cellulose and lignan, both of which stimulate intestinal function. Fiber is a key component to a healthy digestive and elimination system.
- Essential Amino Acids: Maca Root contains nearly all of them. These drive many cellular functions in the body including sexual and fertility functions.
Free Fatty Acids: 20 have been found in Maca Root . These also work to support cellular function. Saturated acids account for 40% and non-saturated about 55%. The most abundant fatty acids adding to Maca Root’s nutritional value are linolenic acid, palmitic acid, oleic acid and steric acid.
- Thamin (B1) – helps the body convert carbohydrates into energy. Essential for good heart, muscle and nervous system function
- Riboflavin (B2) – important for body growth and red blood cell production
- Ascorbic Acid (C) – supports anit-oxidant activity
- Niacin – supports healthy circulation
- Major Minerals
- Calcium – Maca Root contains a higher level of calcium than does milk. Calcium is crucial in bone development as well as for nerve and circulatory system health.
- Phosphorus – is important for the hemostasis of calcium as well as for transmitting electrical stimuli for brain and muscle action.
- Magnesium – is essential for the synthesis of protein and for muscle and nerve activity. Crucial for heart health.
- Potassium – works within the cells to help maintain healthy osmosis.
- Sodium – Along with potassium can support positive circulation
- Minor Minerals
- Copper – Supports enzyme health.
- Zinc – Helps in clarity of thought and mental function
- Manganese – Supports healthy growth
- Iron – Vital component of hemoglobin. Supports health muscle growth.
- Selenium – Protects cells against free radicals.
- Boron – Supports proper metabolism.
- Sterols – With regular use sterols may have a positive impact on lowering blood cholesterol.
- Sugars: Raw Maca Root contains 20g sugar per 100g, these sugars are naturally ocurring fruit sugars. However diabetics should consume with caution.
- Glucosinolates: In food-bearing plants, glucosinolates act as natural pesticides and are stored in the plant’s cells, ready to be released upon tissue damage. Similarly, when consumed by humans, the action of chewing releases the glucosinolates into the body, where they are transformed into bioactive compounds believed to have anticancer properties.
- Maca Rootenes and Maca Rootmides: These are polyunsaturated acids and their amides which are absolutely unique to Maca Root.
Maca Root is an Adaptogen
The Maca Root Nutrition Facts listed above show that Maca Root is a true nutritional powerhouse and amazing daily food to include in your diet.
But Maca Root, like the Chinese herb ginseng, is also an adaptogen. Adaptogens are substances that raise the physical body’s state of resistance to diseases through physiological and emotional health improvements. This makes Maca Root a broad based healer with many benefits able to support and rejuvenate overwhelmed, tired adrenal glands eventually resulting in much greater energy, stamina, clarity of mind and spirit, and the ability to handle stress.
One other important note is that scientists have also discovered that due to Maca Root’s nutritional value, the food has the ability to regulate, support, and balance the hormonal systems of both men and women for optimal function. One of the very great things about Peruvian Maca Root’s is that it is not “gender specific” and works equally well for both men and women.
How can we help?
You can buy Maca Root at our store. Come on down to the Tree of Eternal Life, 124a West Green Road, Tottenham N.15 5AA, 0208 800 3115 or purchase this product on our website www.treeofeternallife.co.uk.